Thursday, June 9, 2011

First broken bone

Today marks a big day. It is the first broken bone among our children. It was just one of those freak accidents that happen. It is crazy how some of the biggest injuries happen when doing something that seems harmless. I met Kamara this morning at the mall with our children. We had them all strapped in our double strollers. Kate and Aubrey always get so excited to see each other. We were walking to the play area when Kate started crying pretty hard. I look down and her thumb was lodged in between the outer part of the stroller next to where the canopy folds back. I gently took it out and it wasn’t stuck very hard. Shortly after I pulled it out she stopped crying. However, once I looked at her thumb I knew something was not right. Kamara and I both agreed that it looked funny. It was completely bent and it would not straighten. However, Kate no longer seemed bothered by it. She played just like she always plays and did not cry when I tried to move it. I still was concerned based on how it looked, though. So I called Zack and I told him I wanted him to look at it before we took her to the doctor. When he saw it he knew right away that it was broken or dislocated. So, he took Kate to the ER. I am so thankful that he was here and could get away from work to do that. They had to do X-rays, give her some strong medicine and then relocate her thumb. I am so glad I was not there for that because Zack said it obviously really upset Kate. It took the doctor three times to get it straight. We have to do a follow up appointment with a doctor in a couple of days. She now has her arm all wrapped up and we have to keep it that way for 3 weeks. On her way home she already unwrapped it, so this is going to be fun! Then, she was upset that she couldn’t take it off. We can take it off for bath time, though. We keep trying to build up how cool it is and that we wish we had one, too. This seems to be working. I just can’t believe it happened from the stroller. I don’t know if she was trying to lean over to see Aubrey or how it happened. Kamara and I also think that Kate probably broke it when she tried to twist it out. Who knows! It was sad when she came home because she kept saying “mean man” about the doctor that relocated her thumb. She also said “Daddy not fix it.” She has established that Daddy fixes things around here. If something breaks in the day she will say “Daddy fix it.” I think some of that goes back to me and because I say that, too. Daddy does fix things around here, though. So that is what is happening around here. I think we are going to have some challenges on managing to keep it on, but we will have to wait and see. I will keep you posted!


Her thumb would not straighten



No comments: