Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Potty Training Without Success

Today I woke up confident and determined to potty train Kate. I had read about the three day method on Baby Center and I thought that would work best for us. My sister Lori told me it is good to decide on a day and stick with it no matter what, so that day was going to be today! Kate just sat on the potty last week all by herself and went to the bathroom. She was so proud of herself and we did a potty dance together. I thought that she was ready, keyword being THOUGHT! I had wanted to do it now so that maybe by Christmas we would be ready to get rid of the pacifier and then the crib later. I had everything planned out. I knew that it would also be best if I did it now while it wasn't too cold for Kate to be walking around naked from the waist down. However, all that to say that those were my plans while Kate had other plans. One of the reasons why this method is successful is because when your child doesn't have anything on they realize it right away. When they start to tinkle on themselves you can immediately put them on the potty so that they can finish. Most kids do not like pee running down their leg. This is not so for our little free spirit Kate. She was trickling pee everywhere. It was running down her leg and it was not bothering her in the least bit. There were a couple of spots on the carpet and she just went up to me and said "Mommy, spilled it." I then tried to put her on the potty and she just sat there. We were outside for a little bit and I would look over and it would be running down her leg and she didn't seem to care. She was even stepping in her own urine with her bare feet! She just kept on playing like it was another day. After working on this for about four hours without even one successful time on the potty and five little spots on the carpet I decided to quit. I feel like she just doesn't get it and is not ready for it yet. She tried to sit on the potty about three or four times but never would go. Then after she sat on it she would think she did something good and want a skittle when she didn't even potty. Needless to say, my time frame is going to need to change. I also realized that the next time I do it I will start on a day when Zack is here. There were too many times when I would have to nurse Carly or change her diaper and I could not be watching Kate. I guess we will try again another day!

5 comments:

mitzi said...

Oh, Tammy! I feel your pain...it went a little better for us in the #1 department and Thatch is pretty much doing that now, but as for #2...it is a no-go! Has been a very frustrating experience! I hope things go better when you decide to try again. Hope all is well in DFW!

Brent and Erika said...

I am impressed that you went four hours, Tami! I probably would have wanted to give up after one puddle on the carpet!

Ashley said...

potty training Carley was the hardest thing I have ever done. Seriously! Good luck! Hope day 2 is much better!

Amy McCown said...

Hang in there. Potty Trainging is so hard. Be thankful you do not have a boy who can jump up from the potty while screaming and running in circles while pee is shooting all over you and your living room. :-) Hang in there is does get better and she will get the hang of it.

Varner said...

Tammy, I'm so sorry it didn't go well. I think it is one of the hardest things to do! Allie didn't care when her panties were wet and we would take her and a few minutes later she would go in her panties. When we finally decided to be serious, we let her pick out her big girl panties and we started on Thanksgiving week b/c we were both off. Then we set a timer and took her every 5 min. for the first two days. We lived in the bathroom. By the end of the week we were up to 45 min. Every time the timer went off we all yelled "potty time" and made a huge deal. Hang in there!